Answering calls may seem like a less important matter to pay attention to. In reality however many companies have flourished because of their effective communication techniques. Today, one of the most important means of communication is the telephone. It is suggested that every worker in a company be taught how to manage calls efficiently. Here is a guide to get you started.
Calls come in various departments inside an office. Wherever you are assigned, it is important to follow the steps listed below:
1. Answer calls before the third ring. Prompt answers always make individuals satisfied of your services.
2. Before hurrying to pick up the receiver, drop any activity or conversation with another party. It is essential that you remain focused on your task.
3. Speak distinctly in a pleasant tone of voice.
4. Be courteous at all times. If a caller has mistaken your department for another one, offer him help and itll be much appreciated.
5. First impressions last. The caller will always be reminded of the call he / she made.
6. When transferring calls, remind the caller of what you are about to do and where youre going to transfer the line.
7. If there is a need for you to leave the line, be reminded to press the hold button so the caller cannot hear noises on the other end of the line.
The Right Responses
There may be times when the called party is not in or may not be available to take the call. In such cases, the following responses should be given:
1. When the caller is out
He is not here at the moment. Would you like me to leave a message for you?
2. The receptionist does not know the location of the individual being called by
He went out of the office for a moment. Would you like to leave a message?
3. Individual being called by is on a holiday / day-off
He is out of the office for a holiday / for the day. Can someone else help with your queries?
4. Person being called by is late
He hasnt come in yet, but I am expecting him very shortly.
5. Individual does not want to be disturbed or is busy
He is unavailable at the moment. You can leave a message on his voicemail instead.
How to Properly Take Messages
There are many instances when you have to take messages from the caller. Here is how to properly do it.
1. Always have a pen and paper on your desk.
2. When the caller prefers to leave a message, be sure to ask for the following:
- the callers name and its proper spelling
- the callers contact number including the area code
3. Ensure that youve taken the right message by repeating it to the caller
4. Note down the time and date of the message and sign the paper with your initials
5. Place the piece of paper on top of the called partys table.
6. You may also transfer the caller to the voicemail. Remember to ask the caller where he / she wants to leave the message.
How to Handle Rude Callers
A receptionist can sometimes encounter rude or impatient calls from another party. If you come across such situation, be reminded to do the following:
1. Keep yourself calm. Remain polite and diplomatic despite the rude behavior of your caller.
2. Show that you eager to solve the problem by helping him out and by answering the queries politely.
3. Remember that the callers concern may be a very important matter.
If you do the steps listed above, you are sure to keep the line of communication effective between callers. You will also provide the best customer services to your clients.